Tea tree essential oil is used in several cosmetics, and the products are formulated as creams, lotions, and shampoos. They can improve the symptoms of several skin conditions owing to the anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial effects. The tea tree oil has a history of being used as an active ingredient in alternative medicine and traditional therapeutic medicine. Tea tree oil mainly contains ‘terpene hydrocarbons,’ and much of its medicinal value is attributed to terpene only. Derived from the narrow and small-leaved tree, Melaleuca Alternifolia, the medicinal value of leaves was recorded some 100 years back, and since then it is used in cosmetics and medicines.
Tea tree oil is used to treat skin conditions and scalp problems. The oil is best for conditions like athlete’s foot, jock itch, ringworm, gingivitis and also helps to manage acne. It can effectively manage dandruff, lice, scabies and bee stings. Organic tea tree oil performs a therapeutic role in managing boils and abscesses. Diluted tea tree oil can be boiled and used for treating cough and cold, sore throat and bronchial congestion.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil?
We cannot say that there is a correct or wrong way of using tea tree oil. But, you must know how to use the oil to get maximum tea tree essential oil benefits. On the other hand, if you misuse it, it can lead to problems. Taking the oil orally may have serious consequences for landing you in a hospital.
There are some who use it as a mouthwash to get rid of bad breath. But, the mouthwash must be used very carefully since swallowing tiny amount can lead to problems. It is better if you stick to the only topical use of this essential oil. If you wish to keep the bottle of tea tree oil in your home, make sure the color of the bottle is dark brown to prevent any penetration of light. Light can break down the tea tree oil in the bottle. When you want to use it, just take a few drops of oil on the cotton ball and apply on the affected area.
What Is The Right Dosage?
Till now there is no effective and proven dosage of tea tree oil. However, as per the latest studies, products comprising tea tree oil in 5-10% concentration are powerful and effective. When using any of the products based on tea tree oil, you should follow every instruction stated on the cover. If any side effect shows up, you must get in touch with your doctor immediately. Do not use tea tree oil if you are using a product based on Benzyl peroxide to treat acne. Any excessive use of pure tea tree oil can damage the skin by stripping off the moisture.
The Use of Tea Tree Oil for Hair Growth
You may use tea tree essential oil for your hair problems and promote hair growth. Commonly used for treating beauty problems, skin conditions, health issues, the natural oil can soothe irritated and itchy scalp to prevent hair and scalp problems like psoriasis, lice head, dandruff, Seb dermatitis and many more. When compared to chemical-based artificial hair products, tea tree oil is far better. By using it, you can reduce hair problems and promote hair growth. The following are the ways of using tea tree oil for healthy and lustrous hair:
- To prevent any scalp issue, you may directly massage the oil into your scalp. This will pave the way for shiny, lustrous and beautiful hair. All your scalp problems will be eliminated. By stimulating blood flow towards the hair follicles, the oil curbs inflammation in the follicles. Apply just a few drops of natural oil and massage the scalp for 10 minutes and leave it for 20 minutes. Problems like scalp dryness, dandruff, oiliness will become thing of the past.
- If you want long, lustrous and gorgeous hair, you can mix tea tree oil in any of the carrier oils like olive oil, baby oil, jojoba oil or vegetable oil. Not only the oil will fight dandruff, but also it will fight fungus. The tea tree oil has antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties. If you use it with a carrier oil, you will have moisturized, soothing and well-nourished scalp. Take 10 drops of Australian tea tree oil and mix it in 1 teaspoon of carrier oil. Apply on the scalp and massage for 10 minutes. Leave for half an hour. For best results, you can wrap your head with a hot towel to unclog the pores.
Treat Hair Loss
- To treat hair loss, dandruff, lice, and flaky skin mix tea tree oil in tea tree shampoo and conditioner. Gently massage your scalp for 10 minutes and again leave for 30 minutes. Rinse with water and all your hair problems will be gone.
- Prepare a spray by mixing essential oil and ounces of water. Spray this mixture on your scalp, leave for 15 minutes after gently massaging the scalp. Wrap with a hot towel for maximum effect. Do this regularly for best results
- If you have itchy, dry and dandruff-prone scalp, you may use coconut oil and tea tree oil to the scalp. Take a tablespoon of coconut oil and mix 10 drops of tea tree oil. Apply the mixture to your problem scalp and gently massage for 10 minutes. Leave this for at least 3 hours and then shampoo with tea tree oil shampoo.
To avoid any skin irritation, you must use diluted tea tree oil.
Tips for Using Tea Tree Oil for Pimples
If you have pimples, you can use tea tree oil for skin. Its antifungal, antibacterial and antimicrobial property can unblock your sebaceous glands and disinfect pores while drying out pimples, whiteheads, blackheads. Below are the ways of using it for pimples and acne:
- You may directly apply pure tea tree oil on your skin to gain maximum benefits. It is a natural, easy and effective treatment for pimples. Since it has antibacterial property, tea tree oil is a fabulous alternative to chemical-based products. You just need a small amount of oil to open the sebaceous glands and unclog the pores. Take a cotton ball and pour a small amount of this oil and apply on the problem areas. Leave it on the pimples for at least 10 hours. Your face should be cleaned to gain maximum tea tree oil benefits.
How to Use
- If your skin is pretty sensitive and you find that the oil is harsh on your skin, use tea tree oil in any of the spot treatments. You may dilute the oil by adding aloe Vera juice. A mixture of tea tree oil and Aloe Vera juice will offer you more benefits. Similarly, you can also add honey to the natural oil instead of aloe Vera juice. Honey has antibacterial property to promote skin healing. A mixture of honey and tea tree oil may also be used on the lips.
- You may add a few drops of tea tree oil in the store-bought facemask or the homemade facemask. The mixture can kill bacteria and also dry out pimples. It may be added to green clay powder to prepare a paste with sufficient water. Apply the green clay mask on face and neck to reveal beautiful skin.
- Take 3 drops of jojoba oil and 3 drops of tea tree oil and mix it in chopped tomatoes. Apply this face mask all over your face. You may also add 5 drops of tea tree oil in 2 tablespoons of yogurt. Apply the mixture to face and neck.
Add Tea Tree Oil to Your Bathtub
For that refreshing, therapeutic and relaxing bath, you can mix a few drops of organic tea tree oil in the bathtub. This can clear acne on your face, neck, chest, and arms. Since the pure essential oil is pretty harsh on skin, you should dilute it. The use of tea tree oil on a regular basis can relieve the symptoms of toenail fungus and tinea pedis. As per the latest studies, 10% organic oil can reduce symptoms of itching, inflammation, scaling and burning. It is available in pure form or many of the formulations like toothpaste, shampoos, and cosmetics.
Test It on Your Skin
Before using tea tree oil acne treatment, you must test the oil on your skin. Use it only topically since the oil is toxic. Apply a small amount of oil to the skin to see what happens to the surface. If there is skin redness or eruption, do not use it. The oil should not come in contact with nose, eyes, and mouth. Tea tree oil formulations and products are widely available in the herb stores and food stores. On the nails, you may apply the oil directly without dilution, but when applying on the skin, you should dilute it.
Wondering where to buy tea tree oil? The oil and oil-based products can be purchased from an online store. Tea tree oil products are extremely good for the skin and offer long-term relief from several skin conditions.