It can be quite challenging to get rid of lice. These are wingless creatures living on the heads of human beings by attaching themselves to the hair follicles. They are highly contagious as well. There are a large number of people who suffer from lice infestations. However, the good news is that there are different methods of getting rid of lice. There are different natural and chemical treatment procedures available for head lice. It is believed that tea tree oil is one of the best remedies for head lice. This is because tea tree oil for scalp is mild.
Is Tea Tree Oil Effective in Killing Lice?
There can be absolutely no doubt in the fact that tea tree essential oil is one of the most powerful organic oils. It comes with several curative and healing benefits. With its origin in Australia, the oil is derived from Melaleuca alternifolia, a plant found in Australia. When the leaves of this plant are steamed systematically, the process delivers pure tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is known for its antiseptic properties, and one of its most important elements is Terpinen. Terpinen is a powerful bacteria-fighting element that can repel head lice and also prevent the growth of head lice. Tea tree oil also comes with anti-bacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties that make it a very safe and powerful remedy for killing head lice.
The effectiveness of Australian tea tree oil in killing head lice has not yet been completely established, and the matter is under debate. Researchers and scientists are yet to conclude removing head lice by using tea tree oil. While different national institutes claim that tea tree oil is not sufficiently effective in treating head lice, other health researchers and experts are of the view that it makes one of the most effective head lice treatments.
How does Tea Tree Oil Work in Killing Head Lice?
Tea tree oil does kill head lice. It works by covering the scalp and the hair follicles and thus kills the head lice while soothing the scalp. It has been found through studies that tea tree oil is one of the best alternatives to different medical ingredients used for the treatment of head lice. One of the best things about using tea tree oil for treating head lice is that it does not have any adverse reactions. It works in the form of an insecticide with powerful antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and antiseptic properties.
Different Methods of Using Tea Tree Oil for Head Lice Treatment
There are some ways in which you can use tea tree oil for getting rid of head lice. However, there are some things that you need to know before using tea tree oil for head lice treatment. First of all, you must be well-informed about its strength. Remember that it is a very strong essential oil and therefore you must look out for a carrier for using tea tree oil for treating head lice. For people with sensitive skin, it is necessary to dilute the oil and then use it on hair and scalp. You can use almost any oil in the form of carrier oil. Such oils include coconut oil or olive oil. You can also use water for diluting tea tree oil. The different methods of using tea tree oil for head lice treatment include:
- You can apply tea tree oil directly to your hair and scalp. This is a very straight and simple procedure.
- You can also try getting head-massage using tea tree oil.
- Tea tree oil blends very well with lavender oil. When worked in combination with lavender oil, tea tree oil acts in the form of a natural repellant for lice.
- Olive oil helps by suffocating lice and killing them eventually. Adding olive oil to tea tree oil makes a very effective solution for head lice removal.
- There are different types of shampoos containing tea tree oil available throughout the market. You can get one of these shampoos for treating head lice. However, it would be better if you add organic tea tree oil to your shampoo and use it twice during the week.
- Adding alcohol to tea tree oil also helps in killing lice. Alcohol used n combination with tea tree oil also prevents lice from sucking blood thus making them dozy. This is a lesser known remedy for head lice treatment, but it is quite effective.
Tea Tree Oil for Scalp
When using tea tree oil for head lice treatment, certain precautions need to be kept in mind. First of all, breastfeeding mothers, women planning for pregnancy and pregnant women should refrain from using tea tree oil. It is also important to note that tea tree oil might result in hormonal imbalances resulting in the growth of breasts in young boys. Tea tree oil is only for topical use, and you must not ingest it. Also, you must rinse your hair thoroughly after using tea tree oil.
The Right Method of Using Tea Tree Oil for Getting Rid of Lice
The right procedure of using tea tree oil for head lice treatment is as follows:
- Choose pure or all-natural tea tree oil. There are different tea tree oil based products available in the market, but not all of them are effective in killing lice. Therefore, you must be very careful when it comes to choosing pure vegan tea tree oil.
- Next, you must make use of a good quality lice comb.
- Mix your regular shampoo with organic tea tree oil.
- Apply it to your hair and work your hair with your fingers until it lathers. This ensures that the shampoo will eliminate most of the lice.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly and then apply conditioner. Applying the conditioner will suffocate the remaining lice.
- Leave the conditioner on the hair and then comb through your hair thoroughly.
- Repeat this treatment for at least a week.
Using tea tree oil for head lice treatment is one of the best ways of getting rid of lice naturally and without going through any hassle.